The VAA logo looms in the distance, begging to be burned alongside its Burning Man counterpart.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce the official registration of the Virtual Artist Alliance Theme Camp for Burning Life 2007!
We currently have 500 prims at our disposal, and I'm looking for a handful of people (three, maybe four) to help me build one large, cohesive piece on the land. We will be working together under a theme to create a space for all of the members of the VAA and any Burning Life passers-by to use and to have fun in.
This year's theme for the Burning Man Festival (the RL festival that inspires Burning Life) is "The Green Man". The Green Man, as copied directly from the Burning Man website:
"Peering outward from behind a mottled screen of vines and leaves, the Green Man does not speak or sleep; he waits. His meaning and his origins are largely lost to time — the Green Man wasn't named till 1939. We know, however, that this type of enigmatic figure was the work of artists, anonymous craftsman whose unsigned work adorns the crevices and walls of medieval cathedrals. This year we will appropriate the Green Man and the primeval spell he casts on our imaginations for a modern purpose. Our theme concerns humanity's relationship to nature. Do we, as conscious beings, exist outside of nature's sway, or does its force impel us and inform the central root of who and what we are?"
The Virtual Artist Alliance will also be utilizing this theme to the best of our abilities to make our plot of playa beautiful for all to see. To read more about this year's theme, click here.
The Burning Man Festival has brought together countless numbers of people who all get together in the name of art, humanity, and nature. As such, this community of people has put together a set ten of principles which are to be followed by all participants, and will apply to us and our endeavors as well.
Please take the time to make yourself familiar with the principles, as they will factor heavily into what we build.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Teamwork- The success of this project will depend heavily on how well we work together as a group- the purpose of the VAA and Burning Man alike is to share and create together as a community, so there will be no room for stand-alone projects. Communication is a key part of teamwork as well, so please be prepared to keep in touch with your comrades throughout the month.
- Commitment- We only have one month to pull this project together, so making yourself available to work with your teammates is imperative. While it will not be required for you to build with someone at all times, if you don't think you'll be present to contribute a significant amount of time to the project and communicate with your team mates on a regular basis, then it might be wise to wait until next year to participate.
- Have Fun!- This is not a competition of any sort-- the reason I claimed this bit of land is because Burning Life is a perfect opportunity to get together, make new friends and have some creative fun! Since this is our first year participating in the festival, we don't have any expectations to set forth-- so by default you will exceed all expectations!
And finally, these are the important dates that you should know in regards to building with us-
- Duration of the Event: Sept. 24th-Oct. 1st
- Plots Assigned: DURING WHOLE EVENT
- Land Must be Claimed: BY THE TIME GIVEN BY THE TERMINAL
- Burning the Man: Sunday, September 30, 2007. (3:00 PM)
- Burning the Temple: Monday, October 1, 2007. (3:00 PM)
- Land Reclaimed: Friday, October 5, 2007.