April 15, 2007

Report from SL dorkbot meeting 15th of April



A group member named Maximillian Nakamura gave you Rhizomatic, Odyssey (84, 148, 32).
dorkbot LM gave you DORKBOT SESSION, Odyssey (50, 192, 297).
UUID Phonic Emitter: Adding Plurabelle Posthorn to play list.
Maximillian Nakamura: Hello Everybody!
Max Nakamura shouts: HELLO EVERYBODY!
Maximillian Nakamura: Welcome to the second dorkbot session in second life here a Odyssey!
Maximillian Nakamura: My name is Maximillian Nakamura. I am the dorkbot guy. *smiles*


Our motto is: ppl doing strange things with electricity. Dorkbot refers to a group of affiliated organizations worldwide that hold meetings of artists, engineers, and designers working in the medium of electronic art. In SL the dorkbot motto slightly changed to ppl doing strange things with second life.
So please welcome: SL Soundartist and New Media Artist AngryBeth Shortbread aka Annabeth Robinson from the UK, who will speak first and the famous SL Artist Dancoyote Antonelli aka DC Spensley.
I would also kindly ask you all to take a seat at this gorgous rhizomatic seating system Sugar Seville made for the dorkbot sessions, because seating reduces lag.


Maximillian Nakamura: Now I would like to introduce AngryBeth Shortbread. She is doing really interesting work with sound in Second Life. http://www.annamorphic.co.uk/

ANGRYBETH SHORTBREAD

AngryBeth Shortbread: hello
quick intro of me, my current background - in RL I'm a moving image artist - encompassing Short Film Drama to multi-screen video installations. I am also a senior lecturer in Ba(hons)/FD Design for Digital Media, at Leeds College of Art and Design, UK.
My Academic background - included a Ba in Interactive Arts at Newport, in 1993, opened my mind to the possibilites of screen based and telepresent based digital art and design. I was quite fortunate to have forward thinker, Roy Ascott as head of course.
Roll on a decade, and the technology has caught up with some of the ideas. I did a fair bit of macromedia director work in the late 90's, especially for the Lovebytes digital art festival, and developed several ideas for sound toys, and interactive moving image graphics for VJing.
By, 2005, I came to Second Life, via staff research at college, when exploring alternatives to webCT and Moodle for creating online learning environments for art and design process and practice.
My interest in exploring the possibilites of artistic practice and distribution within the metaverse, is what made me stay in second life. I was hooked very early on.
Early on Machinima caught my attention, as it gelled well with my RL moving image background.
As I discovered scripting, I found it reminded me of director lingo and actionscript, and found it quite easy to get my head into it. When I started Second Life, it was fortuitus, that the Port Community, led by artists Goldin & Senneby, had just set up. Joining quite early on, I was involved in many of the collaborative projects, with an exciting bunch of early adopters investigating and creating SL Arts. If you want more info about the port - goto http://theport.tv
The Pencil Factory ( my gallery in Second Life ), was my addition to the Port 3D wiki. I tend to think of it to myself, as an online sketchbook. - a record of what I do can be found on my website at - http://www.annamorphic.co.uk/projects.html
As I was saying earlier, my interest was to explore process, and the Pencil Factory housed many of my projects, in either state of completion or work in progress.
I felt it important to think of Second Life as a Studio, and I had no problem with people seeing ideas in development, rather than only finished work. This in itself fed back to my interest in looking at Second Life's educational value.
Most of my work, generally evolves.. taking ideas or processes from older projects and adapting them into new forms.

AngryBeth Shortbread: Tonight going to show you a work in progress - at the moment called height harp, and how it emerged from other ideas. So I'll be asking for volunteers. Lately most of my interest has been looking at new ways to create sound toys in second life, using various ways to play / interface them , rather than just a simple touch based interface. Some exploration has been to use physics and collisions to produce notes eg. the synthycube, others like the UUID emitters in front of you use data about the avatar to produce the sequence of notes.
Loop Luo: volunteer!! here :DD
AngryBeth Shortbread: Some exploration has been to use physics and collisions to produce notes eg. the synthycube, others like the UUID emitters in front of you use data about the avatar to produce the sequence of notes. the UUID emitters are the green thingy's making the choral sounds' The UUID emitters - are playing the avatar's key - or unique id number, - this is translated into a phrase of music, each phrase representing the avatar musically. The emitters play these key's at random, based on a list of avatars it has sensed over time. So when you
have several of these emitters, they play a harmony, kinda representing a community in music.
a very early script I created for the Letter well installation, - which I call wordbreaker, is the engine that runs some of the projects I make, including the UUID emitters.
I'll just demo the script, its in the green box in front of me


Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: d
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: m
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: -
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: p
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: y
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: g
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: v
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: '
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: k
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: y
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: -
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: o
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: q
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: d
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: m
Wordbreaker shouts: b
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: ,
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: -
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: l
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: d
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: o
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: p
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: o
Wordbreaker shouts: f
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: m
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: c
Wordbreaker shouts: ,
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: c
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: p
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: p
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: n
Wordbreaker shouts: g
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: h
Wordbreaker shouts: e
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: v
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: t
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: r
Wordbreaker shouts:
Wordbreaker shouts: m
Wordbreaker shouts: u
Wordbreaker shouts: s
Wordbreaker shouts: i
Wordbreaker shouts: c
Wordbreaker shouts: a
Wordbreaker shouts: e
AngryBeth Shortbread: spammy as hell
It simply takes a string of text and breaks it down into individual letters. As the key of an avatar is also string, it can break this line of numbers and letters down individually. Once I have those, I can assign notes to these values.its also the same script that powers the dna sequencer.
The height harp, follows on from playing with other ideas for sound toys and one area that caught my interest was baseing tones based on the height of an avatar. the height harp, uses a sensor to detect avatars inside the circle, reads their height, and assigns a note, a sensor can only detect 16 avatars at once so i'll need upto 16 avatars, to hop in and out of the circle
Loop Luo: here :D


AngryBeth Shortbread: it has a cycle of about 4 seconds to detect you, to change you assigned note - simply change you height in appearnce, so you can physically tune yourself
Maximillian Nakamura: nice
AngryBeth Shortbread: your height needs to be between 1.4 m and 2.1 m, it uses the scale o C. something that forced the issue with the kinda of tones I used was the 10 sec limit to uploaded sounds, so I created samples with a slow attack and decay over 10 secs, which when used along with llTriggersound , produces that quite nice baroque sound
Alan Dojoji: have you found any way around the limit?
AngryBeth Shortbread: no I work within that constraint.
Your height needs to be between 1.4 m and 2.1 m.
Since doing an Interactive arts degree - active art , rather than passive has interested me, and at present, the role of the avatar as part of the work, is something I'm focusing on
Eifachfilm Vacirca: is your interest more exploring the possiblities rather than having a message or content?
AngryBeth Shortbread: yep, the possibilities are what excite me


DANCOYOTE ANTONELLI
Maximillian Nakamura: So now we go on with dan. dan is going to do a performance with his group
Tran Spire:
Dan Coyote shouts: HELLO EVERYONE!

Dancoyote Antonelli: dorks!
Dancoyote Antonelli: ok so there is a lot of things in SL that are experimental. I try to push as much as possible past the RL analogs
Dancoyote Antonelli: I want to teleport most of you to my stage to see the ZeroG SkyDancers
And so we did, after some teleporting issues. The dancers did two sets for us of this marvellous piece of art work.





Plurabelle Posthorn

No comments: